International Visitors

Getting married in Australia

Many people like to get married in Australia at the start of their honeymoon. Australia is a beautiful, safe and inexpensive country in which to marry.

Marriage in Australia is legally recognised in other countries and you will have the same legal rights and responsibilities. You do not need to be an Australian resident or citizen to be married here. I have created many marriage ceremonies for people who have come to Australia from overseas for their wedding.

If you live outside Australia, your ceremony can be easily arranged through email, Skype or Zoom, the postal service, and telephone calls. Usually I would expect to have a couple of meetings and a rehearsal shortly after you have arrived, but I will be guided by your wishes.

Fiancé Visa Plan

Please note that a Fiancé Visa is not an automatic qualification for permanent residency status in Australia. Check the latest information on the Department of Immigration’s website.

If either of you is applying for entry into Australia under the prospective marriage (fiancé) plan or similar special entry plans, I will provide you with a letter for presentation to the Consulate, together with a certified copy of the Notice of Intended Marriage form.

This will be done once your booking confirmation fee has been received. Please ensure that you consult your Migration Agent, if necessary, to confirm that all requirements have been fulfilled.

To arrange your marriage with me, confirm by email a date, time and venue. You need to download and print a copy of the Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM).

The Notice of Intended Marriage must be signed in the presence of one of the following:

  1. If a party signs the notice in Australia –
    1. an authorised marriage celebrant; or
    2. a Commissioner for Declarations under the Statutory Declarations Act 1959; or
    3. a Justice of the Peace; or
    4. a Barrister or Solicitor; or
    5. a legally qualified medical practitioner; or
    6. a member of the Australian Federal Police of the police force of a State or Territory.
  2. If a party signs the notice outside Australia –
    1. an Australian Diplomatic Officer; or
    2. an Australian Consular Officer; or
    3. an employee of the Commonwealth authorised under paragraph 3(c) of the Consular Fees Act 1955; or
    4. an employee of the Australian Trade Commission authorised under paragraph 3(d) of the Consular Fees Act 1955; or
    5. a notary public

Here is a list of the Australian Embassies & Consulates. Please note that there may be a delay in making an appointment to see Australian Consulate Officers

Forward the form to me as soon as it has been witnessed. I need to receive your Notice of Intended Marriage at least one month before your wedding day, but no more than eighteen months before your proposed wedding date.

Proof of identity

If either of you was born in Australia, I must sight that person’s original birth certificate. Original birth certificates are obtained from Office of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the State or Territory in which you were born. Click here for contact details.

If either of you has been married before, I will also need certified copies of the Decree Absolute, Divorce Certificate, or your previous spouse’s Death Certificate.

A person born overseas, who does not have a birth certificate or extract, should make every effort to obtain one from his or her country of birth. In the event that this is not possible, I may sight a passport issued by the government of an overseas country, provided it shows both date and place of birth. In some cases, I may also request additional proof of identity.

For foreign nationals for whom it is impossible to obtain the relevant documents outlined above, I will require a Statutory Declaration. This is a written legal statement witnessed by me or another authorised official.

An intentional false Statement on a Statutory Declaration is a serious offence carrying a penalty of four (4) years imprisonment.

Please note that under Australian Law, I cannot conduct the marriage unless I see your original documents. You will need to bring them with you to the Northern Territory so I can sight them at our first meeting.

If any of the documents are in a foreign language, official translations into English will be required. Currently in Australia the only persons who can do this are those registered with the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters. Tel: 1300 557 470, email them at   or check out their website.

If you are not confident in speaking English, it will be necessary for you to arrange for an official interpreter to be present at the marriage ceremony.

Planning the ceremony

Once I have received your Notice Of Intended Marriage and the certified copies of documents, together with your booking fee, I will write to you or email you confirming the documents have arrived and that your booking fee has been received. We can then start to plan the content of your ceremony. I will provide you with a wide range of resources and options to help you with your planning.

Prior to your marriage, you will both need to complete a Declaration that there is no legal impediment to your marriage. I will supply and witness this document.

At your ceremony, there must be two official witnesses who have attained the age of eighteen years. The full names of your witnesses need to be provided to me prior to your ceremony for inclusion on the official Certificate of Marriage. I will forward the completed Certificate of Marriage to the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages, after the ceremony, to register your marriage.


Comments are closed.